Frequently Asked Questions

Select a Topic:

How can I prepare my family and home in case of an emergency?

Click here to visit the Be Ready Iowa website. There you will find instructions to build an emergency supply kit, create an emergency plan, and more information about preparing in case of an emergency or disaster. For more information, you may also visit FEMA's Be Ready website at

Return to Topics

Where can I find information about building permits? Who performs building inspections for the City of Bondurant?

The City of Bondurant handles the administrative processing of building permits, and the inspections are done through Veenstra and Kimm.  Veenstra and Kimm can be reached at (515)225-8000. 

We aim to have permits processed within five business days, but processing time may vary due to a large volume of submittals. Before submitting a permit application, familiarize yourself with the Permit Exemption Policy for Minor Maintenance and Repair, Building Permit Guide, and General Permit Requirements.

Click here for more information. 

For more questions and information, contact our office at (515) 967-2418.

Return to Topics

Where can I find information about trash, recycling, or yard waste services in Bondurant?

Please click here to view the Bondurant Community Information on Metro Waste Authority’s website. Information on all trash and recycling programs in Bondurant can be found on the Community Information page, and information on facilities and other programs in the area can also be found on their website. 

Yard Waste Collection

Get rid of yard waste right from the curb through Metro Waste Authority’s Compost It! program. Yard waste collection happens weekly on your regular garbage day. Click here for more information.

Your Checklist For Curbside Recycling Success

Whether you are new to the Curb It! recycling program or a curbside recycling veteran, use this handy checklist to make your recycling efforts the best on the block. Before you roll your cart to the curb, read on to get optimal curbside recycling results.

Know Your Recycling Guidelines – Newspaper, cardboard, plastic jugs and bottles, glass jars, and cans are the mainstays of the recycling cart. But what do you do when you don’t know for sure if an item can be recycled? Refer to your recycling guidelines, of course. You keep the program running efficiently when you put the right materials in your Curb It! cart. Non-recyclables in your cart actually reduce the value of the good recyclables, so it’s important to remember- when in doubt, throw it out.

Punctuality Matters – Get your cart to the curb by 6 a.m. on your garbage day to ensure collection. Sometimes routes and drivers change, which could cause your collection schedule to differ from the past. Help them collect yours the first time around!

Perfect Placement –Leave three feet of space around your cart. This allows easy access for the recycling truck’s automatic arm to reach the cart, reducing the chance it will knock over a garbage cart or another cart in its path. Carts should also be within 18 inches of the curb, with the short metal bar facing toward the street.

Closed Lids Make Happy Neighbors – If the lid on your cart is open or partially open at the curb, there is a good chance your recyclables could blow around the neighborhood before they’re collected. Keep the neighbors happy, and make sure your lid is closed. If cart space is an issue, be sure to break down boxes. If you regularly have too many recyclables, consider an extra cart. You can purchase a second cart for just $30 a year through the Curb It! Extra program. To enroll, call the Metro Waste Authority at 515.244.0021.

Outsmart Iowa Weather -

  • The Wind - Try to keep lighter materials toward the bottom of your Curb It! cart and heavier items on top to prevent them from blowing out of the cart (please do NOT bag your recycling items in plastic bags). If your recycling cart is only half-full, consider waiting until your next collection day to place it at the curb. 
  • The Snow - Clear out a place for your cart when you shovel and leave 18 inches around it to allow room for the recycling truck's mechanical arm. Don't place carts on snow piles or in the street.

Learn more safe and smart recycling and disposal options at 

Return to Topics

Where can I post garage sale signs? Is there a City-Wide Garage Sale?

You may post signs on your own property (between the house and sidewalk), and if you have permission, you may post signs on another person's property (between the house and sidewalk). A sign permit is required when any wall, roof, or freestanding sign is constructed, erected, modified, or relocated. Limited exceptions apply. If you have questions, call the planning department at City Hall at (515)967-2418.

Signs should not be posted between the sidewalk and the street without prior approval, as underground wires or cables may be buried. Access the Sign Permit application at

Please note that it is illegal to post signs on city signs (stop signs, etc.) as they are distracting and unsafe for drivers.

The Bondurant city-wide garage sale occurs annually on Mother's Day weekend, and if you need more information about the sale, call Bondurant Parks and Recreation at (515)967-2418 or email with questions. 

Return to Topics

Where can I dispose of hazardous waste? What qualifies as hazardous waste?

Hazardous waste can be brought to the MWA/ Metro Hazardous waste drop-off, which is located at 1105 Prairie Drive SW in Bondurant at the phone number (515)967-5512. Their facility is open Tuesday through Friday (1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.). Please contact the center on Saturday hours. Businesses must call ahead to make an appointment. For the most up-to-date information, including accepted waste, please visit their website at

Return to Topics

When is Bondurant's "Summerfest"?

Summerfest occurs annually in the middle of June and is a two-day event. Please get in touch with the Bondurant Men's Club with any questions at (515)202-8282.

Return to Topics

I'm moving out. How can I have the utilities taken out of my name?

Call the Utilities Department at (515)967-2418. They will need to know the date you would like the final water meter read Final water meter reads must occur during our business hours (Mon.-Fri., 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.). Please make sure to let the person moving in after you (if applicable) know that they need to sign up for water service in their name to avoid a $50 reconnection fee. 

Return to Topics

I'm moving in. How can I get utilities in my name?

New residents moving into the City of Bondurant should establish utility services. There are several ways this can be accomplished. We encourage residents/future residents to use the electronic method as the most convenient method.

The City of Bondurant services water, sanitary sewer, stormwater, garbage, and recycling. 

Electronic Method

  1. Complete the utility application.
  2. Email the application to City Hall at
  3. When the Utility Billing Specialist receives the application by email, they will establish a utility account. Once the account is set up, a registration and instruction email will be sent to you with login information to pay the deposit online.
  4. Login to your new utility account per the instruction email and pay the $150.00 deposit.
  5. Move into your new home, and have peace of mind that your utilities are ready to go!

Non-electronic method

  1. Complete the utility application.
  2. You can drop off the application and the deposit in the dropbox at City Hall or mail it to 200 2nd St NE; PO Box 37; Bondurant, IA 50035
  3. When the Utility Billing Specialist receives the application, they will establish a utility account. Once the account is set up, a registration and instruction email will be sent to you with login information.
  4. Login to your new utility account per the instruction email.
  5. Move into your new home, and have peace of mind that your utilities are ready to go!

Bills are due on the 15th of every month. View the Disconnect Policy for late fee details. 

The deposit will be held on file until you sell your property or move out. The deposit on file will be applied to your final water bill, if there is a balance left over, a refund check will be mailed to your new address. It is essential to contact us when you have a move-out date. 

If you have questions about your bill or setting up your account, please call (515)967-2418. If you have questions about your garbage, recycling, or yard waste services, find more information here at

Return to Topics

How do I understand my Utility Bill? What do the codes mean? What does the "ST" code mean? 

Code Identification (as listed on the back of your utility bill*):  

  • GA = Garbage 
  • RC = Recycling
  • PN = Penalty
  • DP = Deposit
  • SW = Sewer
  • WA = Water
  • MS = Miscellaneous
  • AR = Arrears
  • WT = Water Excise Tax
  • TX = State of Iowa Tax

The StormWater Fee is based on the amount of impervious surface on your property (i.e. roofs, driveways, parking areas). This Utility is in place to assure compliance with the City's Stormwater Permit issued by the Iowa DNR. This Utility will fund related erosion control measures.

Find the current rates here

Return to Topics

Online Payment Instructions and Fee Information:

The payment processor accepts Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express with a processing fee. You will need the utility account number on your utility bill to make an online payment. Payments that are made online need to be made by the 15th of the month to avoid the 10% penalty. Payments made online after the 15th of each month are considered late and should include the 10% penalty. If it is after 8:30 a.m. on disconnect day, you will need to make your payment for the amount due after the due date, plus a $50 nonpayment fee. Click here to make a payment which will include a processing fee.

Return to Topics

Does the City of Bondurant offer a monthly Automatic Payment option to pay my Utility Bill?

Yes! Click here for additional directions.

When Automatic Bill Pay is set up, payments will be automatically withdrawn on the 15th of each month, unless weekend or holiday, then the next business day. You will continue receiving your bill in the mail, as usual, but "Paid by Draft" will be printed.

We recommend this payment option for customers who would otherwise pay using another financial institution's "bill pay" service. Payments set up through other bill payment services are often not received until 5-10 days after the "due date" you specify through your bank account(s). This is because the "due date" is often the day they write out the payment from your account and does not account for mail processing time. Late penalties will be assessed if we do not receive payment on or before the due date, so please be careful and pay early if you plan to use another bill payment service. 

Return to Topics

Is open burning allowed?

The City of Bondurant Open Burning Policy is outlined in the City of Bondurant Code of Ordinances – Chapter 105, Section 105.05 and is based upon State of Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Polk County regulations, and the requirements of the International Fire Code – 2000 edition.   These rules limit open burning to improve air quality and provide a better quality of life for the entire metro area. 

With five specific exceptions, it became unlawful for any person to open burn or to permit open burning of any refuse, rubbish, garbage, landscape waste, or other combustible material within the City of Bondurant, Polk County, Iowa. 

Permitted Open Burning is as follows:

  1. Disaster Rubbish. The open burning of rubbish, including landscape waste, for the duration of the community disaster period in cases where an officially declared emergency condition exists.
  2. Recreational Fires. Indoor or outdoor fireplaces or barbecue grills are used solely for entertainment purposes or food preparation for human consumption. Said fireplaces or barbeque grills shall burn only unprocessed wood products, charcoal, propane, and/or natural gas and have provisions for under-fire air for holding an outdoor fire off the ground.
  3. Training Fires. Fires are set for bona fide training of public or industrial employees in firefighting methods, provided that the training fires are conducted in compliance with rules established by the State Department of Natural Resources.
  4. Agricultural Structures. The open burning of agricultural structures is in accordance with rules and limitations established by the State Department of Natural Resources.
  5. Variance. Any person wishing to conduct open burning of materials not permitted herein may apply a variance to the Fire Chief.

Open Burning is defined in the Fire Code as:

“The burning of materials wherein combustion products are emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or chimney from an enclosed chamber. Open burning does not include road flares, smudge pots, and similar devices associated with safety or occupational uses typically considered open flames or recreational fires." For the purpose of this definition, Open Burning is not allowed within the City of Bondurant without obtaining a permit.  Contact the Fire Department for assistance in determining the types of permits needed and procedures for obtaining such permits.

Recreational Fires are defined in the Fire Code as:

“An outdoor fire burning materials other than rubbish where the fuel being burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbeque grill, or barbeque pit and has a total fuel area of 3 feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (610 mm) or less in height for pleasure with open-air between the bottom of device and ground surface for religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.”

Recreational Fires

  • The fire must be at least 25 feet from structures and other combustible materials.
  • Fuel area may not exceed 3 feet in diameter, may not exceed 2 feet in height, and have open-air space between the bottom of the device and the ground surface
  • Only solid fuels are allowed (no rubbish)
  • Dry grass, leaves, and other combustibles must be cleared for a minimum of 10 feet around the fire area.
  • Any condition which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure must be eliminated.
  • The fire must be constantly attended to by a competent adult
  • A portable fire extinguisher, or alternative means of extinguishment such as a garden hose, must be in place for immediate use
  • Fires emitting smoke determined to be harmful to surrounding property owners, or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, will be immediately extinguished

Portable Outdoor Fireplaces

  • Must be at least 15 feet from structures and other combustible materials
  • Only solid fuels are allowed (no rubbish)
  • It May be an open design or equipped with a small hearth opening and a short chimney or chimney opening at the top
  • Must be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
  • Must be constantly attended to by a competent adult
  • A portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating, or alternative means of extinguishment such as a garden hose, must be in place for immediate use.
  • Fires emitting smoke determined to be harmful to surrounding property owners, or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, will be immediately extinguished.

Please call Bondurant Emergency Services at 630-3937 with any questions you may have regarding burning policies. 

Return to Topics

Who can I contact to get more information about the American Legion in Bondurant? Can I rent the American Legion building for weddings or parties?

Please visit or call (515)971-4863 for information about the American Legion or (515)210-7873 to reach the American Legion Auxiliary.  Building rental rates, availability calendar, and other news and events will be found on their website. 

The Bondurant American Legion hosts a Community Breakfast in Bondurant on the 3rd Saturday of every month at the Legion Hall from 7:00 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. 

Return to Topics

Who do I contact about Property Tax or Vehicle Tag questions?

The Polk County Treasurer serves as a tax collector for all taxing authorities in Polk County. This includes the collection of taxes for the City of Bondurant.

Please visit for Property Tax questions or the Polk County Treasurer's website at

Commercial Tax Abatement Application Forms are available on our website here

Return to Topics

What is a Snow Ordinance?

A snow ordinance requires all cars to be removed from public streets anytime there are more than two inches of snowfall or within one hour of declaration.

After more than two inches, the snow ordinance will automatically go into effect. Also, a snow ordinance shall take effect following a declaration by the City Administrator or Street Superintendent.  

Snow ordinance details are typically published on the City's website and social media accounts. As well, a press release is sent to local news outlets. 

Vehicles must be removed from any City street within one hour of the declaration and remain off the streets for the following twenty-four (24) hours after the snowfall ends

Vehicles not removed within an hour of the declaration will be ticketed for violating the City’s Snow Ordinance. After being ticketed, vehicles not removed from the City street within twelve hours after the declaration may be towed, with expenses for towing payable by the vehicle owner.

Return to Topics

I am unable to shovel my own sidewalks and do not have someone in my home capable of assisting me with snow removal. What should I do?

The City of Bondurant offers a snow removal service for residents within City-Limits who cannot remove snow from public sidewalks. You must sign up for this service every year in order to receive assistance, as a resident's living situation may change over time. Find more details at

Return to Topics

When do I need to remove snow from my sidewalks? Where can I shovel my snow?

To help ensure that sidewalks are safe during the winter, City Ordinance requires residents to remove snow and ice from sidewalks within 24 hours following the end of the snowfall. Property owners who do not comply are subject to a municipal citation.

A helpful hint for residents – clear your sidewalk after the snowplows have finished plowing to the curb. When you remove snow from your sidewalk, please remember that City Ordinance prohibits placing that snow in the street. The unnatural deposit of snow from driveways and parking lots onto the City right-of-way is also prohibited.

Equipment operators often work 12 or more hours in a shift and appreciate courteous and friendly drivers and pedestrians. Please remember to maintain a safe following distance of 75 feet from all snow removal equipment.

Return to Topics

I live in Bondurant. Where can I register to vote? Where is my polling place? 

A useful website to locate your polling place can be found on the Iowa Secretary of State’s website at

The Polk County Auditor's website also contains candidate information and resources to locate your polling site at

The Iowa secretary of state's office has a ballot tracker on its website at

Return to Topics

Where can I find a local Farmer's Market?

Find Bondurant Farmers Market on Facebook for more information about the local Farmer's Market. You can also contact the market manager at

Please visit the Iowa Farmers Market Association (IFMA) website for information about Farmer's Markets in Iowa. 

Reasons to shop your local farmer's market:

  1. Locally grown food is better for you. 
  2. Locally grown food tastes better
  3. It's part of green living
  4. Shopping the market buildings strong communities
  5. Buying locally grown food supports nearby producers and farm families
  6. Local food supports a clean environment and benefits wildlife
  7. Local food is about the future

Return to Topics

I would like to fish and/or hunt in the area. How can I find out more information about regulations? What places can I visit in the area?

In Bondurant, fishing is allowed with a fishing license at multiple public fishing areas. Find more information at

Hunting is only allowed in A-1 zoning districts if a permit application is approved by City Staff while hunting within City limits with a valid hunting license and only if you have the landowner and tenant farmer permission to hunt on their land (reference 41.08 of the City of Bondurant Code of Ordinances and find permit application information).

You can find information about hunting and fishing by visiting the Department of Natural Resources website at, or you may call them at (515)281-5918. Please follow all rules and regulations to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable time. 

Return to Topics

Can I reserve a park shelter at one of the Bondurant parks? Is there a fee involved?

Please click here to be redirected to reservation information on another page. 

Return to Topics

I'd like to report a crime. Who should I contact?

If it is an emergency, dial 911!
To report a non-emergency crime, you can contact the Polk County Sheriff's office at (515) 286-3333.
You may also provide tips and/or report petty crimes (i.e. vandalism) to the Polk County Crime Stoppers at (515) 223-1400. Rewards are sometimes offered for information on particular cases. 

Return to Topics

I would like to find zoning information. Where should I look?

The Zoning Map is available at

The Planning and Zoning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month. Meetings are open to the public. Find details about the commission at

The Comprehensive & Visioning Plans can be found at

If you have additional zoning questions, please get in touch with City Planner at (515)967-2418. 

Return to Topics

I would like to get involved in a 4-H club in the area, but I am not sure who to contact.

Multiple 4-H Clubs in Polk County are always looking for volunteers to get involved in their organization. Please click here to be directed to the Polk County 4-H website. Scroll down the page to find the Bondurant Clubs. 

Return to Topics

I would like to know the hours and holiday schedule for garbage/recycling pick up.

The City of Bondurant contracts with Ankeny Sanitation for solid waste pickup.

The carts must be out by 6 a.m. Wednesdays; the earlier your cart is out, the better. Setting your cart out the evening before your collection day is one way to make the cut; make sure it's after 5 PM. Per city code, carts are only allowed curbside 12-hours before collection and must be promptly removed from the curb line following collection. Reference 105.10 Waste Storage Containers

Bondurant participates in a recycling program, and Waste Management collects every other week on Wednesdays. Garbage and recycling billing is included in the monthly utility bill. Contact City Hall for your recycling schedule. If you have questions about what to put in your recycling, visit or call 515-244-0021 the Metro Waste Authority staff is always happy to help!

Bondurant's recycling weeks are black in the below garbage and recycling schedule. 

Garbage and Recycle Schedule


Click here for more information.


Return to Topics

 I would like to drive my golf cart in Bondurant. How do I get a permit? What are the guidelines? 

The Bondurant City Council passed an ordinance on May 2, 2022, permitting golf carts on most city streets within Bondurant with a few limitations. Specific details can be found in Chapter 82 of the Bondurant City Code. Golf carts may travel the city streets of Bondurant between sunrise and sunset. All golf cart operators will first need to obtain a Golf Cart Permit from City Hall each calendar year. The Golf Cart Permit fee is $35. Access the Golf Cart Street Map, which shows certain roadways on which or across which golf cart travel is prohibited.

Golf carts are expected to abide by universal traffic laws in addition to the following: driving or operating allowed on city streets only, not sidewalks, trails, or grass; travel along the right-hand edge of the right-most street lane (unless making a left-hand turn); golf cart operators should be the first to offer courtesy and prevent traffic congestion by pulling over to the right-hand edge of the street, stopping, and allowing motor vehicles to pass; golf carts should travel in single-file lines only; and golf carts must yield to pedestrians, bicyclists, and other micro-mobility devices. Find the full list of operation parameters in Chapter 82 of the Bondurant City Code.

Access the Golf Cart Ordinance - Frequently Asked Questions

Return to Topics

 When is Trick-or-Treat night in Bondurant?

City Council adopted a resolution setting "trick-or-treat" Night as the last Saturday of October every year from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. 

For residents distributing goodies, please light up your front door area, indicating "trick-or-treaters" are welcome. Be sure the sidewalk or path to the door is clear of debris or plants that might impair their walking. Please also keep pets inside, protecting them from being frightened or inadvertently biting a child.

Drivers are urged to use extra caution during this annual event. In fact, children are four times more likely to be hit by a vehicle on Halloween than on any other night of the year. Be safe!

The Bondurant Community participates in the Teal Pumpkin Project. Participating in this raises awareness of food allergies and offers the option of non-food items in a separate bowl making Halloween safe and more inclusive for all trick-or-treaters. Add your address to the list:

Return to Topics

I want to host an event (race, fundraiser, carnival, etc.) in Bondurant. Is there paperwork I need to file? What if I need to close the road temporarily? 

Suppose an individual or organization would like the use of the City of Bondurant public property, the public right-of-way, or in a public street for a special event. In that case, you have basic responsibilities to fulfill to conduct your event with the approval of the City of Bondurant. Access the Special Events Packet at City Council reviews and approves these applications. Therefore it is suggested to submit applications 30 days before the proposed event. Submit all applications to the Communications and Events Coordinator


Return to Topics