Answers to FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

American Legion Post 396 

Building Permits 

Burning/Open Fires

City-Wide Garage Sales 

Crime Stoppers 

Emergency Preparedness 

Farmer's Markets

Fishing/Hunting Regulations and Information

Flags - American Flags

Garage Sale Signs

Garbage/Recycling Holiday Pick Up

Hazardous Waste

Park Shelter Reservations 

Polk County 4-H  

Recycling Program 

Snow Ordinance/Snow Emergency

Snow Removal Service

Snow Removal Tips & Requirements 


Tax Information (Property and Vehicle) 

Trash (Residential) 

Utilities:  Bill Pay through City Hall

Utilities:  Take Out of Your Name

Utilities:  Put In Your Name

Utilities:  Understanding Your Bill 

Utilities:  Online Payments (Processing Fee) 

Utilities:  Fee Chart for In-Office Payments (Debit/Credit/E-Check) 

Voter Registration (Polk County)

Yard Waste 

Zoning Code / Zoning Map

How can I prepare my family and home in case of an emergency?
Click here to visit the Be Ready Iowa website. There you will find instructions to build an emergency supply kit, create an emergency plan, and more information about preparing in case of an emergency or disaster. You may also visit the FEMA Be Ready website at for more information.

Where can I find information about building permits? Who performs building inspections for the City of Bondurant?
The City of Bondurant handles all building permits and inspections are done through Veenstra and Kimm.  Please contact our office at (515) 967-2418, or Veenstra and Kimm at (515)225-8000.

Building permits are required to build any structures or to modify existing structures on your property. Permits are also required for any electrical, plumbing, mechanical, or excavation work. Items that require permits also include fences, sheds, swimming pools, and decks. Please be sure to contact City of Bondurant if you have any questions. Click here for more information.
Please click here to view the Bondurant Community Information on Metro Waste Authority’s website. Information on all trash and recycling programs in Bondurant can be found on the Community Information page, and information on facilities and other programs in the area can also be found on their website.

Yard Waste Collection

Get rid of yard waste right from the curb through Metro Waste Authority’s Compost It! program. Yard waste collection happens weekly on your regular garbage day. Click here for more information.

There are two easy ways to dispose of yard waste through the program – or you can mix and match:

1. Bag & Sticker Program

Compost It! Bags: The cost of the Compost It! brand bag covers the cost of collection, no sticker is required. Do not exceed 40 lbs. per bag.

Store-Brand Bag + Compost It! Sticker: A Compost It! sticker must be attached to a generic or store-brand bag. The sticker cost covers the cost of collection. Be sure to face the sticker toward the street so the hauler can see it.

Compost It! Sticker + Brush Bundles: Attach a Compost It! sticker to each brush bundle and place it next to carts or bags. Bundles cannot exceed 18 inches in diameter or four feet in length.

2. Cart Service

A Compost It! cart has wheels, just like your Curb It! cart. Simply roll it to the curb on garbage day during Compost It! season. The 96-gallon cart can hold the equivalent of three-yard waste bags, but you can always use the Bags & Sticker program if your yard waste exceeds the cart's capacity.

Purchase Bags, Stickers, & Cart Subscriptions: The cost of the Compost It! bag, sticker, and annual cart subscription cover the cost of collection and to process the material.

Compost It! Bags

$8.00 for a bundle of five ($1.60 per bag). Sold at many city halls, grocery stores, and hardware stores.

Compost It! Stickers

$1.25 per sticker. Sold at many city halls, grocery stores, and hardware stores.


$105 annual subscription; [INSERT CART PURCHASE/START-UP FEE AND DELIVERY FEE (if applicable).] To enroll, call [INSERT PHONE], or renew at

For more information, including a how-to video, visit or call 515.244.0021.

Your Checklist For Curbside Recycling Success

Whether you are new to the Curb It! recycling program, or a curbside recycling veteran, use this handy checklist to make your recycling efforts the best on the block. Before you roll your cart to the curb, read on to get optimal curbside recycling results.

  • Know Your Recycling Guidelines – Newspaper, cardboard, plastic jugs and bottles, glass jars and cans are mainstays of the recycling cart. But what do you do when you don’t know for sure if an item can be recycled? Refer to your recycling guidelines, of course. When you put the right materials in your Curb It! cart, you keep the program running efficiently. Non-recyclables in your cart actually reduce the value of the good recyclables, so it’s important to remember- when in doubt, throw it out.
  • Punctuality Matters – Get your cart to the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling day to ensure collection. Sometimes routes and drivers change, which could cause your collection schedule to differ from the past.
  • Perfect Placement –Leave three feet of space around your cart. This allows easy access for the recycling truck’s automatic arm to reach the cart, reducing the chance it will knock over a garbage cart, or another cart in its path. Carts should also be within 18 inches of the curb, with the short metal bar facing toward the street.
  • Closed Lids Make Happy Neighbors – If the lid on your cart is open or partially open at the curb, there is a good chance your recyclables could blow around the neighborhood before they’re collected. Keep the neighbors happy and make sure your lid is closed. If cart space is an issue, be sure to break down boxes. If you regularly have too many recyclables, consider an extra cart. You can purchase a second cart for just $30 a year through the Curb It! Extra program. To enroll, call the Metro Waste Authority at 515.244.0021.
  • Outsmart Iowa Weather -
    The Wind
    - Try to keep lighter materials toward the bottom of your Curb It! cart and heavier items on top to prevent the items from blowing out of the cart (please do NOT bag your recycling items in plastic bags). If your recycling cart is only half-full, consider waiting until your next collection day to place it at the curb. 

    The Snow - Clear out a place for your cart when you shovel and leave 18 inches around it to allow room for the recycling truck's mechanical arm. Don't place carts on snow piles or in the street.

Learn more safe and smart recycling and disposal options at

Where can I post garage sale signs? Is there a City-Wide Garage Sale?
You may post signs on your own property (between house and sidewalk) and if you have permission you may post signs on another person's property (between house and sidewalk). Signs should not be posted between the sidewalk and the street as underground wires or cables may be buried. Please note that it is illegal to post signs on city signs (stop signs, etc.) as they are distracting and unsafe for drivers.

The Bondurant city-wide garage sale occurs annually on Mother's Day weekend, and you may contact the City of Bondurant at (515) 630-6982  or at with questions.

Where can I dispose of hazardous waste? What qualifies as hazardous waste?
Hazardous waste can be brought to the MWA/ Metro Hazardous waste drop-off, which is located at 1105 Prairie Drive SW in Bondurant, at the phone number (515) 967-5512. Their facility is open Tuesday through Friday (1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m). Please contact the center for Saturday hours. Businesses must call ahead to make an appointment. For the most up-to-date information, including accepted waste, please visit their website at

When is Bondurant's "Summerfest"?
Summerfest occurs annually during the middle of June and is a two-day event. Please contact the Bondurant Men's Club with any questions at 515-669-6432

I'm moving out. How can I have the utilities taken out of my name?
Stop by Bondurant City Hall (200 2nd St. NE) or call us at (515) 967-2418. We will need to know the date you would like the final meter read for water. Final water meter reads must occur during our business hours (Mon.-Fri., 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.). Please make sure to let the person moving in after you (if applicable) know that they need to sign up for water service in their name to avoid a $50 reconnection fee.

I'm moving in. How can I get utilities in my name?
Stop by Bondurant City Hall (200 2nd St. NE) to fill out an application in person. Please be sure to bring a valid photo I.D. There is a $150 deposit for utilities, based on the number of meters at the property, and we accept cash or check. If there is no water service at the property there will be a $50 fee to reconnect the service.

How do I understand my Utility Bill? What do the codes mean? What does the "ST" code mean? 

Code Identification (as listed on the back of your utility bill*):  GA=Garbage, RC=Recycling, PN=Penalty, DP=Deposit, SW=Sewer, WA=Water, MS=Miscellaneous, AR=Arrears, WT=Water Excise Tax, TX=State of Iowa Tax

The StormWater Fee is based on the amount of impervious surface on your property (i.e. roofs, driveways, parking areas). This Utility is in place to assure compliance with the City's Stormwater Permit issued by the Iowa DNR. This Utility will fund related erosion control measures.

Rate Information:

     Availability Fee $6.24  per month
     Usage Fee  (per 1,000 gallons) $6.24 per 1,000
Customers outside the Bondurant corporate limits shall
pay one and one-half times the above-stated rates
     Minimum Fee   (0-1,300 gallons)  $11.03 per month
     Usage Fee  (per 1,000 gallons) $11.67 per 1,000
STORMWATER FEE  (per ERU)     $3.25 per month
GARBAGE FEE - 96 GAL $8.90 per month
GARBAGE FEE - 48 GAL $8.20 per month
RECYCLING FEE $3.60 per month
(515)   967-2418

Online Payment Instructions and Fee Information:



Fill in billing contact, hit continue

  • To go directly to the "Forte" website click on the chosen link below
  • The account number is your UTILITY account number (listed on your bill).  If you do not have your bill, you may contact City Hall (967-2418) between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, for your
  • Select Method of Payment on the lower left side of the screen (Credit Card or E-check).
  • enter payment amount
  • Payment Processing/Service Fee will be added to your total. This fee is assessed by the payment processing company.
  • Click continue if all information is correct.
  • Click Authorize Payment.
  • Select Print at the bottom.

You may make payments online by following the steps above. Otherwise, you may set up automatic monthly payments through City Hall, pay by mail, make payments at the front desk of City Hall, or drop payments in the silver drop-box on the South side of City Hall. Please note, payments set up through other bill payment services are often not received until 5-10 days after the "due date" you specify through your bank account(s). This is because the "due date" is often the day they write out the payment from your account, and does not account for mail processing time. We suggest scheduling this kind of bill payment on the 1st of the month so it is received at City Hall by the 15th.

Does the City of Bondurant offer a monthly Automatic Payment option to pay my Utility Bill?
Yes! Click here for additional directions.

When Automatic Bill Pay is set up, payments will be automatically withdrawn on the 15th of each month, unless weekend or holiday then the next business day. You will continue to receive your bill in the mail, as usual, but "Bank will Pay" will be printed on the bill.

We recommend this payment option for customers who would otherwise pay using another financial institution's "bill pay" service. Payments set up through other bill payment services are often not received until 5-10 days after the "due date" you specify through your bank account(s). This is because the "due date" is often the day they write out the payment from your account, and does not account for mail processing time. Late penalties will be assessed if we do not receive payment on or before the due date, so please be careful and pay early if you plan to use another bill payment service.

What fees are assessed by the outside payment processing company?
Please review this Fee Chart for electronic payments (Debit, Credit, Electronic Check), which is displayed at the front desk of City Hall. These fees are assessed by the payment processing company and may change over time. Please make sure to verify your totals before authorizing payment, and keep a copy of your receipt.

Is open burning allowed?
The City of Bondurant open burning policy is outlined in the City of Bondurant Code of Ordinances – Chapter 105, Section 105.05 and is based upon State of Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Polk County regulations and the requirements of the International Fire Code – 2000 edition.   These rules limit open burning to improve air quality and provide a better quality of life for the entire metro area. 

With five specific exceptions, it became unlawful for any person to open burn or to permit open burning of any refuse, rubbish, garbage, landscape waste or other combustible material within the City of Bondurant, Polk County, Iowa. Permitted Open Burning is as follows:
1)  Disaster Rubbish. The open burning of rubbish, including landscape waste, for the duration of the community disaster period in cases where an officially declared emergency condition exists.
2)  Recreational Fires. Indoor or outdoor fireplaces or barbecue grills used solely for entertainment purposes or the preparation of food for human consumption. Said fireplaces or barbeque grills shall burn only unprocessed wood products, charcoal, propane, and/or natural gas and have provisions for under-fire air for holding an outdoor fire off the ground.
3)  Training Fires. Fires set for the purpose of bona fide training of public or industrial employees in fire fighting methods, provided that the training fires are conducted in compliance with rules established by the State Department of Natural Resources.
4)  Agricultural Structures. The open burning of agricultural structures if in accordance with rules and limitations established by the State Department of Natural Resources.
5)  Variance. Any person wishing to conduct open burning of materials not permitted herein may make an application for a variance to the Fire Chief.

Recreational Fires are defined in the Fire Code as:

“An outdoor fire burning materials other than rubbish where the fuel being burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbeque grill or barbeque pit and has a total fuel area of 3 feet (914 mm) or less in diameter and 2 feet (610 mm) or less in height for pleasure with open-air between bottom of device and ground surface for religious, ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.”

Open Burning is defined in the Fire Code as:

“The burning of materials wherein products of combustion are emitted directly into the ambient air without passing through a stack or chimney from an enclosed chamber. Open burning does not include road flares, smudge pots and similar devices associated with safety or occupational uses typically considered open flames or recreational fires. For the purpose of this definition, Open Burning is not allowed within the City of Bondurant without obtaining a permit.  Contact the Fire Department for assistance in determining the types of permits needed and procedures in obtaining such permits.

Recreational Fires

  • The fire must be at least 25 feet from structures and other combustible materials
  • Fuel area may not exceed 3 feet in diameter may not exceed 2 feet in height and have open-air space between the bottom of the device and ground surface
  • Only solid fuels are allowed (no rubbish)
  • Dry grass, leaves and other combustibles must be cleared for a minimum of 10 feet around the fire area
  • Any condition which could cause a fire to spread within 25 feet of a structure must be eliminated
  • Fire must be constantly attended by a competent adult
  • A portable fire extinguisher, or alternative means of extinguishment such as a garden hose, must be in place for immediate use
  • Fires emitting smoke determined to be harmful to surrounding property owners, or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, will be immediately extinguished

Portable Outdoor Fireplaces

  • Must be at least 15 feet from structures and other combustible materials
  • Only solid fuels are allowed (no rubbish)
  • May be an open design or equipped with a small hearth opening and a short chimney or chimney opening in the top
  • Must be used in accordance with manufacturers instructions
  • Must be constantly attended by a competent adult
  • A portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating, or alternative means of extinguishment such as a garden hose, must be in place for immediate use
  • Fires emitting smoke determined to be harmful to surrounding property owners, or when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous, will be immediately extinguished
Please call Bondurant Emergency Services at 967-2418 with any questions you may have regarding burning policies.
The American Legion Post 396 now has their own website! Please visit or 515-967-3433 for information about the American Legion and Auxilliary, building rental rates and availability calendar, and other news and events. The Bondurant American Legion also hosts a Community Breakfast in Bondurant on the 3rd Saturday of every month at the Legion Hall from 7:00 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
The Polk County Treasurer serves in the capacity of tax collector for all taxing authorities in Polk County. This includes the collection of taxes for the City of Bondurant. Please visit for Property Tax questions, or visit the Polk County Treasurer's website by clicking here for more information. Property Tax Abatement Application Forms are available on our website here (or click on "Apply for" and "Property Tax Abatement" on the left hand margin of this page).
No person shall park any vehicle or permit the same to remain standing upon any public street in the City during the following times or periods:
The City of Bondurant Snow Ordinance shall take effect following a declaration of same by the City Administrator or Street Superintendent. Vehicles must be removed from any City street by 8:00 p.m., and must remain off of the City street until 8:00 a.m., the following day, or until the snow declaration has been lifted, whichever occurs latest. Vehicles not removed by 8:00 p.m., will be ticketed for violating the City’s Snow Ordinance. After being ticketed, vehicles not removed from the City street by 8:00 a.m., the following day will be towed, with expenses for towing payable by the vehicle owner.
I am unable to shovel my own sidewalks, and do not have someone in my home capable of assisting me with snow removal. What should I do?
The City of Bondurant offers a Snow Removal Service to residents (65 or older, or have been certified as disabled by Social Security Administration) who are not capable of removing snow from public sidewalks. You must sign up for this service every year in order to receive assistance, as a resident's living situation may change over time. Please click here to download or print a copy of the form to sign up for Snow Removal Service. These forms are also available at City Hall upon request.
To help ensure that sidewalks are safe during the winter, City Ordinance requires residents to remove snow and ice from sidewalks within 24 hours following the end of the snowfall. Property owners who do not comply are subject to a municipal citation.

A helpful hint for residents – clear your sidewalk after the snowplows have finished plowing to the curb. When you remove snow from your sidewalk, please remember that City Ordinance prohibits placing that snow in the street. The unnatural deposit of snow from driveways and parking lots onto the City right-of-way is also prohibited.

Equipment operators often work 12 or more hours in a shift and appreciate courteous and friendly drivers and pedestrians. Please remember to maintain a safe following distance of 75 feet from all snow removal equipment.
I live in Bondurant. Where can I register to vote? Where is my polling place? 
A useful website to locate your polling place can be found at the website, which you can visit here. The Polk County Auditor's website also contains candidate information and resources to locate your polling site. You can download a form from the Polk County Auditor's website here, which you can complete and mail to register to vote, or you may visit the Polk County Voter Registration and Election Office at 120 2nd Ave., in Des Moines to register to vote. Please contact their office at (515) 286-3247 with any questions you may have about voter registration.

Find Bondurant Farmers Market on Facebook for more information or contact

For information about Farmer's Markets in Iowa please visit the Iowa Farmers Market Association (IFMA) website.

I would like to fish and/or hunt in the area. How can I find out more information about regulations? What places can I visit in the area?

In Bondurant, fishing is allowed at Lake Petocka with a fishing license. A Free late night fishing permit is required through the  City Hall. Hunting is only allowed outside of the City limits with a hunting license, and only if you have the landowner's permission to hunt on their land. You can find information about hunting and fishing by visiting the Department of Natural Resources website at or you may give them a call at (515) 281-5918. Please be sure to follow all rules and regulations to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable time.
Please click here to be redirected to reservation information on another page.
I'd like to report a crime. Who should I contact?
If it is an emergency, dial 911!
To report a non-emergency crime, you can contact the Polk County Sheriff's office at (515) 286-3333.
You may also provide tips and/or report petty crimes (i.e. vandalism), to the Polk County Crime Stoppers at (515) 223-1400. Rewards are sometimes offered for information on particular cases. Please contact the Crime Stoppers for additional information.

I would like to find zoning information, where should I look?
Zoning information is available on this website under "The City of Bondurant Departments and Boards", "Planning and Zoning", "Bondurant Zoning Code".  Our Zoning Map is available on the website under "Maps", at the top right of each page. 

The Planning and Zoning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month, when an agenda is created, and meetings are open to the public. New agendas will be posted (under "Planning and Zoning", "Agendas") by 5 p.m. the Monday prior to a meeting. If there is no meeting scheduled, the last agenda will remain posted. If you have additional zoning questions, please contact City Hall at 515-967-2418.

I would like to get involved in a 4-H club in the area, but am not sure who to contact.
There are multiple 4-H Clubs in Polk County that are always looking for volunteers to get involved in their organization. Please click here to be directed to the Polk County 4-H website. Click on their "Club Map" tab for club information for the Bondurant (Northeast) area of Polk County.

I would like to know the hours and holiday schedule for garbage/recycling pick up.

Hours and Holiday Schedule

Office hours: Monday - Friday 8 AM to 5 PM Closed on New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Holiday Status
Day After New Year's Day CLOSED ON SUNDAY
Day after Thanksgiving Day OPEN, PICK UP DELAYED ONE DAY

Click here for more information.